Phase I Environmental Site Assessment
Assessment of your commercial building site
Criterium-Jansen Engineers’ Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I ESA) studies follow the format of CSA Z768 and ASTM Standard 1527 and include a physical inspection of the site, a review of relevant records, and interviews with occupants, owners, neighbours and selected officials. The scope is often expanded to address issues specific to the subject property.
How We Serve You
Unless directed by our client, our Environmental Site Assessment scope will not include any asbestos sampling or other issues defined as out of scope under the CSA and ASTM methodologies. If these additional services are requested, a separate proposal can be prepared.
Sometimes, the degree or even existence of contamination cannot be confirmed without a Phase II investigation. Criterium-Jansen Engineers can coordinate Phase II investigations, but does not perform them. We will not recommend unnecessary additional studies when the risk is deemed low.
The Purpose of an ESA Report
The primary intent of our Environmental Site Assessment studies is to identify Recognized Environmental Conditions associated with each property, as well as Business Environmental Risks as defined within CSA and ASTM.
Site visits include an inspection for issues identified as within the scope of CSA Z768 and ASTM 1527 including:
- Hazardous Materials Storage & Handling
- Waste Generation, Storage, Disposal, & Emissions
- Underground Storage Tanks
- Aboveground Storage Tanks
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Drums or Unidentified Containers
- Stained Soil
- Drains or Sumps
- Pits, Ponds, or Lagoons
- Septic Systems
- The apparent current and prior uses of all adjacent properties with respect to the potential for migration of contaminants to the subject property.
- Readily available public records (local, provincial and Federal) and previous reports and studies to identify existing or potential sources of contamination to the site.
- Interview present or past owners or tenants or other knowledgeable persons to the extent available, to assess their knowledge of stored, created or discharged hazardous materials or waste, and review as to whether appropriate procedures, safeguards, permits and notices are in place.
Contact Criterium-Jansen to Get Started
To learn more about Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I ESA), please contact us today at 1-888-940-0571.